Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Scream, You Scream ( in Terror as We Run Away)

If you aren't up to speed about the ice cream drama that has been going on in my 'hood this summer, you can catch up here, here , here and here. Go ahead, I'll wait.

*whistling*

Oh hey! You're back! Okay, well, we now have THREE regular ice cream men that roll through our neighborhood daily. Ghetto Man, Blue Bunny and, of course, Mister Softee.

Ghetto Man and Blue Bunny both played the tune Turkey in the Straw whereas Mister Softee has his own distinct (and heavenly) jingle. Someone must have tipped off Ghetto Man that he was ringing the same tune as Blue Bunny, because a few weeks ago, we heard something different, and a bit disturbing coming down the street. There is just no way I can convey the creepiness in words, so I've been waiting for the moment when I could record it as he drove by. Well my lucky, adoring (read:captive) audience, today is that day!

Now, before we get to the part that will surely be the root of many nightmares in your future, let me also go back about eight or nine years and tell you another story.

At the time, we were living in New Jersey, but in military housing. The ice cream truck that frequented housing played Greensleeves. You know, What Child is This? Either interpretation makes it weird. Either the ice cream man is playing a slow Christmas song in July, or he is playing an old English folk tune/love song. In my book, this was the weirdest song played by an ice cream truck, ever. That is until this year.

Back to present day. I may be a bit cynical, but if this doesn't give even the most trusting of you visions of a child molester preying through the neighborhood, I'll.... well, I'm still not buying ice cream from him!
(I got more than I need and can't trim the clip, so if you can fast forward to about 39 seconds in and then watch, it should be perfect)



Umm, yeah, you heard that right. The tune ends with a big "quack quack" and an overly cheery voice saying, "Hello!?"

Tell me, have you heard any strange selections on the playlist with your local ice cream truck? Please share in the comments, I would love to hear them!

5 comments:

  1. it is funny
    hey i will take that one...why we do not have ice cream truck, well there was one few days ago but he drove really fast - maybe 30mph- ya, you guess no one can buy..LOL
    it was so fast my kids couldn't even saw the truck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try living in a gated neighborhood where no ice cream men are ever in any day! It's part of childhood isn't it? Or are you starting to feel like it's part of childhood trauma??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, we rarely see the ice cream man but when we do, I tell the kids that he's out of ice cream. LOL No, seriously, we're lucky because our neighborhood Ice Cream Man is the dad of one of my kids' schoolmates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't hear it. Darnit. I turned my sound up as loud as it will go. We never get the ice cream truck through our neighborhood.

    He was driving pretty fast so he must know that y'all aren't going to run out there for him. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that's creepy. The ice cream man has been on my list of things to write about and you've just lit a fire under my butt. Except now that I've seen your version of "ghetto," I'm compelled to post pictures of ours. GHET-TO! So scary, I won't buy anything from him. Blue Bunny gave up on our 'hood!

    ReplyDelete