Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Year of My High School Reunion and Also When My Son Called Me Old

This year is the twentieth anniversary of my graduation from high school. I graduated in May of 1991. I remember when I graduated, my dad remarked how I graduated exactly twenty years to the day after he did. And I marveled about being out of high school for twenty years, being thirty-eight years old and having a child graduating high school. I could not wrap my head around it.

And yet, what seems like MAYBE five years later, here I am. Twenty years later. Wow. I did things differently than my parents. I did not give birth to my first child until I was thirty. I think that is partially why my brain can't wrap around my age. I still think I am the same age or just a few years older than college students. And then I realize I could legitimately be their mother. Whoa.

So, as I write and you read, my twenty year reunion is being planned. It was decided to have it in the fall in conjunction with the high school's homecoming game and festivities. I was asked to design a couple of logos for use on shirts, invitations and whatnot. As I was sitting at my computer this afternoon, playing around with different designs, Noah walked in and sat beside me.

"SHS Class of 1991? Wow! Is that when you graduated?"

"Yes, Noah. I graduated high school in 1991."

**pause**

"So... that's....uh....WOW! TWENTY YEARS!?"

"Yep! Twenty years. That is why we are having a reunion."

"Is the school still there?"

"What do you mean? Of course there is still a high school in my town!"

" No, I mean the BUILDING where you went to school. It must be pretty old!"

"Yes, the building is still there, but it is the middle school now. They built a new high school after I left."

"So, it is still actually a school, then?"

**getting irritated now**

"Yes, Noah, it is still a school. What is your point?"

"I just thought if you went to school there TWENTY YEARS AGO, it must have fallen down by now. That's really old."

Should I tell him our house was built in 1984?


5 comments:

  1. I love it!! Hang there. I feel your pain. I actually enjoyed my 20 yr reunion better than my 10 yr reunion. Hang in there. It'll be ok to feel younger than you actually are. I know sometimes my body feels 40 but my mind sure doesn't think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate! I waited until I was 30 to have Natalie, and my mom was 35 when she had me, so my view of "old" has always been slightly off. Until I notice people I graduated with have kids that are driving. Then I start to think "Man they're OLD! Oh wait... that means I am too?!?!".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids. Can't kill 'em, can't shut 'em up.

    And you are right, it totally does NOT feel like it should be 20 years. And I can't believe I'm the same age as some people that already have GRANDchildren. WTH? I know I'm not that old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just saying to my mom, it's weird how our memories don't age, just our bodies. We still feel like it's 20 years ago, or 15, or whatever. But our knees and our wrinkles and our eyesight tell us differently.

    But you're still younger than me. Class of '90 baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha, this is soooo funny! Gotta love kids. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around my age too, I don't feel any different then I did in my early 20's. LOL, I remember my mom saying that, and me thinking "whatever mom, you're really old."

    Can't sign into google to comment, this is Charity from Surviving a Two Year Old.

    ReplyDelete