Monday, October 1, 2012

My Stuff! My Stuff! How Bazaar!

Okay- first of all- our American car arrived!  YAY!  Matilda JuneBug is back in our possession.  I missed her!


Secondly, just a few days shy of two months in transit, OUR HOUSEHOLD GOODS HAVE ARRIVED!  We were able to finally get rid of this lovely loaner furniture:


Now, unpacking everything and putting it away, is another story.  We are making steady progress, but there are still a lot of boxes to be unpacked and things to be put away. The fact that this house does not contain one single closet is putting a kink in my system.  We had quite a bit of stuff in our hall closet and bedroom closet in NJ and now I have to find a place to put all of that stuff!

the moving truck in front of our living room window:


boxes in the kitchen:


 boxes in the living room:

The other challenge is that I cannot simply put a nail in the wall and hang my pictures.  The house is old- two hundred years old- and the outer walls are plaster over chalk and the inner walls are plaster.  Translation: they are hard and a hole must be drilled in them with a masonry bit.

I still can't find the table legs to the end table in the living room.  I have no idea where they are.  I am sure they are stuffed in some random box ( I found my sweaters yesterday in a box out in the garage marked, "craft supplies".  There were craft supplies in the box, WITH MY SWEATERS) and I just have to find them.

Friday night, they had a holiday bazaar on base with loads of vendors, carnival rides and food.  The kids got a taste of Texas with a frito pie and DJ and I got a taste of Louisiana with a bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo.  I was skeptical at first. DJ interviewed the guy selling the gumbo before we bought some.  After feeling satisfied with his answers- he is from a small town near Opelousas and he does put file in the gumbo- we purchased two bowls and promptly devoured them.

While walking around the bazaar, we found a vendor that had various watercolors and prints of those watercolors featuring local village scenes.  We quickly found a few of our village, featuring the pub, the church, etc when Noah noticed one featuring the cross.  The cross is located right in front of our house- Cross Hill, our house is called Crosshill house- and points down the road running beside our house to the location of the old air fields used for RAF Methwold during WWII. The airfields were eventually shut down and the land was returned to agriculture. If you walk down the road now, you will just find an enormous expanse of farmland where the air field used to be.  The only reminder of it's presence is the cross at Cross Hill.

So, Noah found the print that had the cross and we noticed that in the right corner of the print, was half our house.  Of course we had to buy it! The house we are living in is the orange-ish colored house in the right corner of the picture.




Here is an actual picture taken looking at the cross and up toward town centre and St. George's Church.



I still owe you a post about our visit to Sandringham and now add to that our visit to Audley End House.  Both houses do not allow photos on the inside, so I only have a few of the outside.  I also hope to have a post of our put-together house for you soon.  In order for that to happen, I must get off this computer and go unpack some more!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment