Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Post Where I Almost Have a Mid-Life Crisis Right in Front of Your Eyes, but then Don't

Three months ago, this very moment, I was on a plane with my family, probably filling out a landing card as we were nearing approach to London's Heathrow airport.  We had left the last twelve years' worth of memories, our home and our friends (that had become family) behind us in New Jersey to embark on a new an uncertain adventure.

The move was stressful.  The entire process was a comedy of errors and everything that could go wrong, did. There were many tears, fits, screaming, pants-peeing (and I am not even talking about the kids yet- haha- kidding-sort of) and a lot of uncertainty.  There was fear and indecision.

There still is.  But the good parts are starting to outweigh the bad parts and we are starting to settle into our life here in England.  Some days I would consider selling my soul for Elena's or Pei Wei, but I put it out of my mind and try to find an alternative.  I did find a recipe for one of the Pei Wei dishes I like and it is really good, but a huge pain in the rump to make!  So, that helps temper that craving- do I really want it bad enough to MAKE it?  No.

As for Elena's... well, there is just no replacing Elena's.  The food is good, but the atmosphere and memories are what makes it.  That was where I spend almost every Friday afternoon of my college years (and many times, other days as well).  We would go there after our Friday rehearsal and sorority meeting and sit and eat, gab, dream, enjoy, laugh and just be twenty-somethings with the whole world in front of us but only really caring about the chips and queso in front of us at that moment.

And this tangent that I am on brings me to a lot of reflection I am having lately.  I will turn forty in just two months.  Where has the time gone?  I remember being the first of my friends to turn twenty and a childhood friend, Kelly, gave me black balloons and an "over the hill" card as a joke at being the first to leave the "teens".  I swear that was just last week.

Forty.

I will be able to legitimately say, "Forty years ago...."  and know I was there.

In forty years, I have grown up, graduated high school, graduated college, married, had two children, lived overseas twice (in England both times), visited almost every lighthouse on the west coast and many on the east coast, spent Saint Patrick's Day with a pint of Guinness in Dublin, climbed the Spanish Steps and gazed upon the Trevi Fountain in Rome.  I have seen the Eiffel Tower,  walked in the footsteps of the ill-fated Pompeiians, stood in their town square while suspiciously eyeing Mount Vesuvius, smoking in the background.  I have been to shows in London and New York City.  I have carted around a crazy old Welsh hitchhiking lady through half of Wales, stood at the spot where St Thomas of Canterbury was murdered in his cathedral.

So, yes, "where has the time gone?"  It makes sense because, "time flies when you are having fun" and I was out having fun. I don't really need a bunch of cliches to tell me that I have led a very full life in forty years. And I can only hope the next forty are as fun and as full.  As long as I have my husband, my kids and my dearest friends by my side, how could they not be?

Here's to three months in England, the next three years here, the next twenty, thirty and forty years...

 "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"


L'chaim!! (to life)



3 comments:

  1. From this 'old man', it has been a joy to get to have known you a little since you & Jeff were in school... Great memories, great lives for you, for DJ & for your children... Just always look at it as: "The best is yet to come" & then enjoy it... God bless you - Ken H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how we don't feel old? I am not yet 40 but for some reason I thought I would "feel" older in my thirties....or perhaps I would feel more responsible? Not sure what I was thinking but it seems crazy to me that I have lived during an entire decade that my little bro's girlfriend wasn't even alive in!
    Glad to see you are settling in! Moving countries is always hard! hugs from across the channel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forty is awesome. I think it is the official age you can say "screw it" and do or say whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete