The window.
In various photos I have posted before of my sideboard, several people have asked if that was a dumbwaiter. It isn't, but has a great (to me) story!
When I first introduced you to our house, I told you how it used to be a home and a shop. Our living room was the shop. During that time, the owner would have primarily lived in the dining room space- warming around the fire. They would have needed to know if someone walked in the shop, so rather than having to keep checking, they built a window that provided a clear view of the shop door from the vantage point of someone sitting by the fire in the dining room. (Remember, I told you the shop door has been turned into a built-in bookcase in our living room).
(the view if you zoom in on the window from the chair next to the fireplace- see the bookcase? That used to be the shop door.)
Now, onto other things. In order to cut down on heating costs, which are expensive here, I have had to learn to get used to a cooler temperature in the house than I am used to. In New Jersey, we kept it around 70 (21 C). Here, it generally stays around 64 (18 C). I just keep thick socks and a hoodie or cardigan on. So, this morning, after I walked the kids to the bus stop, I could not get warm.
I have my fuzzy socks:
I am wearing a hoodie AND a hat:
And, although you can't see them, I am also wearing thermals under my jeans. When I am sitting, I also have a blanket on. As I type this, my hands actually ache from the cold. We filled up our oil tank in September and were hoping to make it through the winter as oil is more expensive in the winter. But, it is becoming apparent to us that we will probably have to fill it again by January. And that should cost a small fortune.
Anyway, as I was saying, I cannot get warm. So, I wandered in to the office to look at our thermometer. Fifty-eight degrees (14 C). No wonder I am freezing!! I went upstairs and bumped the heat from 16 to 18 to try and warm it up a little more in here! I am so thankful, England doesn't get that cold! I don't think I could take New Jersey temperatures in this house! OR.. I wouldn't be able to AFFORD New Jersey temperatures in this house! THIS is why these houses are built with so many fireplaces! It is a shame ours don't work!
So, for now, I sit in the corner of my couch, typing this blog within easy reach of the radiator (see it behind the curtain?). Aside from the heat radiating from it, I also like to alternate between placing my hands on it to warm them up.


Ay! I remember filling up that stupid gas tank! So expensive! And it hardly mattered as the house would never heat up anyway! It is amazing how cold it can get in a house! That is why they drink so much tea!
ReplyDeleteAnother good way to get the house warm is by baking! Get some scones going in the oven and in no time you will feel warmer....or is that fuller?
Anyway, love the house!