Friday, December 31, 2010

A Tale of Two Dresses

by
[Mad as the] Dickens


It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was summer. It was winter. It was bright and cheery. It was gray and dreary. It was the reason for countless struggles. It was the reason for unbridled joy.

One was long-sleeved and adorned with festive penguins.




One was short-sleeved and adorned with glitter.





In spite of a closet full of dresses, outfits, sparkly pants and Tinkerbell shirts, these were the only two acceptable options for wear. The possessor of these treasures had handpicked them from her collection and nothing else could compare to their splendor.

Maternal nerves frayed. Headaches originated. Tantrums commenced. Shoes were thrown. Little legs froze in sub-freezing weather.

All for the sole purpose of fashion.

Fashion as determined and defined by a three-year-old.

And so the other clothes all hung, untouched, in the closet and longed to be touched, worn, CHOSEN.

All at the expense of two dresses.

THE dresses.

In her eyes...

...perfection.



4 comments:

  1. Giggle...

    Oh gosh, how thankful I am for boys. Sure, they might fight over who gets to wear the guitar shirt, but at least in 40 degree weather I can count on them being satisfied with their dinosaur pullovers!

    And that leaves all the glitter for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you, Jennifer.. A 5yo that wants to determine her own clothes and wears the same dresses over and over..... :( I have found that sometimes I can negotiate if I mention that a certain shirt makes her look like Jessie the cowgirl or this certain pair of pants are just like the ones her favorite cousin wore the other day, etc... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH I have this same issue with my 3yo daughter. It's a weird departure because my older daughter never did and still never does care what I tell her to wear. I buy her clothes, shoes, underwear, socks, etc and say, "I bought this for you. I think you'll like it, right?" to which she always answers, "it's great!" and if she doesn't wear what I tell her to, then I make her wear it and she might not like it but she wears it.

    Okay, I'm not a tyrant. really.

    But the young one? She throws and absolute FIT if she can't wear this ONE dress with polka dots every single Sunday. I tell her, "It's dirty" or "I can't find it" and she cries and whines and practically has a seizure until I "find" it. I have so many other adorable dresses in her closet that are hopefully going to garner me a few bucks at the consignment sale since they are practically new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, so funny! That little ball of fire, wanting to wear a summery dress in the winter? There's some wise solution to this I think I've seen on other blogs (nothing wise on my own!) Something like washing the dresses to take them out of commission, buying extras, or declaring once-a-week rules. Of course, I have a strong-willed daughter like you so what do I know?

    I haven't actually seen my daughter in a dress since the High Holidays because somehow I turned her into a pants-wearing tom boy.

    ReplyDelete