I joined band in 5th grade- I played in the band all the way up through high school, also serving as a majorette and eventually as replacement drum major halfway through football season my senior year. I was in band in college and majored in music for two years before switching my major. Even after switching my major, my scholarship was contingent on my being in symphonic band and taking flute lessons (which obligated me to flute choir and flute class). I was in the band service sorority- and even served in the offices of historian, vice president and president. My junior year, I was elected by the band to represent them on the homecoming court. So, yeah.. "band nerd" could perhaps be an understatement. I was "supreme band nerd-ette". After I graduated, while I was still in Texas, I was still teaching flute lessons and judging high school twirling try-outs. Once I moved from Texas, I was out of commission for awhile. In 2005, missing my band nerdiness, I googled "community band" and discovered one right here close to where I live and joined. I briefly served on their executive board until I had to resign because DJ's crazy schedule was making me an unreliable member. My point... still a band nerd.
Now, my husband is not a musician at all. He played soccer all the way through college. He loves to point out my nerdiness and lately, it has come out several times in my children's sports. Like the dozens of times I have mistakenly informed my son to, "Hurry, up, or you will be late for REHEARSAL." and they always remind me.. " it is PRACTICE, NOT REHEARSAL!" Yeah.. I get it. Fine.
Then, a few weeks ago, while sitting at a game, the ref blew the whistle for half time. And one of the other moms looked confused and said, "Is it over?" and I replied, "No, it's intermission. Uh.. I mean half time." **blush** Yeah, I really did that.
While unrelated to the kids's sports, I also have been having a hard time at Zumba because the steps start on the right foot. My instinct is to march on my left foot and always step with my left foot first. This makes me angry because I am a perfectionist and I want to get the steps right. So when I go left and everyone else goes right.. it upsets me greatly.
Last week, while at Noah's game-in my head, I wanted to say that I should put Noah in a soccer clinic or camp to see if we can improve his skills; but what actually came flying out of my mouth was "master class". My husband looked at me, I corrected myself and we moved on.
The moral of the story: You can take the girl out of the band, but....
Oh HEY!
What is the football team doing on the marching field?
March with the left, kick with the right...
ReplyDeleteSome things you just never forget.