I grew up near the Bolivar Lighthouse on Bolivar Peninsula in Texas and always looked forward to passing it when we were waiting in line for the ferry to Galveston.(this is not my photo, I got it from an internet search for images)

The summer after I graduated college, I was fortunate enough to go on a month-long trip and see many lighthouses that dot the west coast from the border with Canada down to Los Angeles. What a trip that was!!
Our visit to the Cape May lighthouse on Sunday just reaffirmed my love for them and I wanted to share the pictures I took of it as well as a poem I penned about lighthouses some years ago.
Last night I had a moving dream
of a lighthouse by the sea.
It's beauty and it's aura
seemed to call out to me.
For I was a ship lost at sea
in a horrific torrential storm.
I prayed for something to save me
for something to keep me warm.
Weathered and beaten I struggled and fought
to keep myself afloat.
But the angry surf tossed me about
No mercy for this pitiful boat.
Just as I had given up
surrendered to the relentless tide.
I caught a glimpse of safety
a beacon as my guide.
It's flawless beauty beckoned me
steering me away from harm.
The waves around me seemed to disappear
as I moved towards its outstretched arms.
The amazing strength of the structure
took my breath away.
I was challenged by the sea again and again
but never falling prey.
Mesmerized by its beauty,
I wanted to stay awhile.
For it mended my heart, it filled my soul
And colored my world with a smile.
I'm comforted by it's promise
to faithfully provide me with light.
And I hope that love will forever shine
as my beacon in the night.

Beautiful.
ReplyDelete