We found an episode on television over the weekend and watched it. Noah thought it was pretty cool and I enjoyed watching an old favorite. I mean, how crazy is it that they had a robot to do their housework?

...and, while they were flying around in their spacecar, they could talk to people outside of the car...
... and program it to take them wherever they needed to go...
Well, ok, maybe it isn't SO crazy... but I'll tell ya what IS absurd.... VIDEO PHONE CALLS, that's what!
I mean, that is just crazy talk, there!
With that said, I am so very thankful for modern conveniences. They make life in general easier, but they also make life away from family a lot easier as well. Between Facebook and this blog, my family can keep up with the kids and see almost instant pictures of them rather than waiting weeks ( or even months) for me to write a letter, develop pictures and mail them home.
Last week, Noah took his first spelling test. The same day he brought it home, I scanned it, uploaded it and emailed it to all our family and his daddy. Everyone was able to share in his joy of acing his first test. I also uploaded pictures from his first soccer game and shared the link with his daddy since he couldn't be there to see it.
Zoe still doesn't quite understand what is going on and why her daddy isn't here. When he calls on the phone, Zoe hears his voice and gets excited, but then gets frustrated because she can't find him. Saturday night, we sat at the computer and video conferenced with him via Skype. Zoe was ecstatic to see her father's face smiling back at her and I think he was happy to see the excitement in her eyes too.
So... while I sometimes wonder if technology is taking away the personal relationships in society and making us a bunch of loners, I also recognize the good in it. Technology is what keeps me connected so closely to my family and friends. For that, I am thankful.

Well spoken, Jennifer. You hit the nail on the head. I would have loved to see Zoe's face as she was talking with DJ on skype. I bet it was priceless. That little girl loves her daddy!
ReplyDeleteIt is all in how you use it. Pretty much like everything else.
ReplyDelete