Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tough Audience

Way back, a long time ago, I was a performer. Crowds and audiences energized me. Now, I prefer to blend in and pray noone notices me. When someone does notice, I make a funny face or crack a joke and then crawl back in my hole.

I was going through a stack of VHS tapes I have this evening trying to find what is worth keeping and what is not. (i.e. Days of Our Lives from 1989 is NOT worth keeping, however, my senior homecoming pep rally IS) I popped in a tape in Noah's room- because he has the only remaining VCR in the house- and pushed play. It just happened to be the homecoming game my senior year of high school when I twirled fire.

I know, right... WOW.. fire! I thought for sure my son would be impressed with his ninja, fire-twirling mommy. Umm... not so much. I told Noah that was me when I was seventeen and in high school and he watched, stone-faced until the very end.

When it was all over, the crowd roared and I looked at my son's face, waiting for him to proclaim me the coolest mommy in all christendom. Instead, I got:

" Umm... Mommy? That looked really dangerous. I'm thinking you aren't supposed to play with fire."

And then he went back to playing his Geo Trax trains as if nothing had happened.

Maybe If I light his LIGHT SABRE on fire and twirl it.... I dunno.

2 comments: