
The kids and I went out to my craft room/sun room and decided to make a paper chain with a link for every day of the deployment so we can tear one off at the end of each day and visibly see the length getting shorter. This was suggested to me by several different people and I thought it was a good idea, but was afraid that since Noah is so literal, if the deployment went beyond 120 days (and I am told most of them do), he would be really angry. So, I cut out 148 links to hopefully cover the whole thing. Now if it goes beyond 148 days, the government is going to have to deal with Noah- it is out of my hands at that point.
It looks a little intimidating right now, but hopefully, as it shrinks, it will be so encouraging.
Since we are already 4 days in, we removed 4 links!
Then, we decided to make Valentine cards for Daddy. I will have to make mine at a later date, because I spent the entire time fulfilling requests to open sticker packets, help with marker caps, help with stamping, etc.
This was supposed to be Noah with Zoe's card in the foreground,but Zoe popped up and messed up the whole focus.
inside Noah's card- I blocked out our last name- he's such a goofball, signing his last name on a card to his daddy!
After we made cards, the kids were hungry. I made meatballs with rice and gravy. Zoe and I eat the meatballs and Noah just eats the rice and gravy. They both helped me make the meatballs and put them in the pan and then Zoe fell asleep. At this point, Noah was sitting at the kitchen table and told me, "Taking pictures of food is lame." Umm.. excuse me... when did I become the parent of a fourteen-year-old?

Then, Noah informed me I had better hurry up and make the gravy and I told him I had to wait until the meatballs were finished. He had no idea the gravy came from the meatballs and he was fascinated. He pulled up a chair and watched me make it. I explained every step of the process to him and told him if he would learn to cook and make a good gravy and/or roux, he would be golden because girls love a guy who can cook.
He stared at me with that look he gives so well that makes me think he wants to say, "You are such an idiot." and instead came up with, "Unless she is a vegetarian."
If he's bringing home a vegetarian one day, he'd better not move back to Texas. I mean, I am on probation and at risk of losing my Texan card because I only eat beef and chicken. I don't like pork, any kind of game or seafood. That also comes dangerously close to getting me disowned by the cajun side of my family. But a full-on vegetarian? That would be blasphemy!
We survived day 4- and I shoveled and salted the driveway, sidewalk and a path to the mailbox. It wasn't too bad- I'm guessing three inches. But the meteorologists are all in gloom/doom/snowpocalypse mode over Tuesday.
We will just have to wait and see what Tuesday holds.
I'm hoping it's a margarita and seventy degrees- or two tickets to somewhere tropical. Because then Tuesday would be my best friend ever. And Tuesday and I could make each other bracelets and trade Swatch watches.
No?




I love this peek into your lives and that you can describe even the mundane daily things with such detail that they sound fun.
ReplyDeleteI really love that you took the time to describe what you were cooking to your son. I am such a pain, I ususally shoo all the kids out of the kitchen while I'm cooking.
Keep it up! Hope you don't get snowed in.
Now I totally want meatballs and gravy and you know I don't have time to fix that when I get home from work.
ReplyDelete