Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Morning Alleluias*

I had to be somewhere at 9:30 this morning right after I put Zoe on the bus. Inspired by Maren, I had planned to continue on to a local park where I could get some exercise and take a walk. I like walking in scenery- not on a track or treadmill. So, imagine my disappointment as I stood at the bus stop with Noah in the pouring rain.

By the time Zoe got on the bus, the rain had stopped, but everything was really wet and it was still dark and cloudy. I ran my errand very quickly and when I finished, I decided, what the heck! Why was I going to let a little wet dirt scare me away? So, I drove to the park anyway- and I am so glad I did.




Because of the morning shower, I was the only person there (other than the park ranger who was just sitting in the parking lot in his truck). I had the entire woods and lake to myself! I started my walk with my tunes going, but the damp woods were just so beautiful, that I removed my earbuds about halfway through the walk. The sounds, sights and fragrance of spring were in the air all around.

Here is the path before me- as the trees gently curved overhead, inviting me in.

After crossing the floating bridge over the lake, I turned around to see where I had been.

When I reached this little grove of pine trees, I stopped, closed my eyes and inhaled. The sweet, damp smell of pine was so comforting. It smelled of home.

After passing the grove, the trail circled back around on itself and to the stairs and iron bridge.
After 2.3 miles, I emerged from the woods, to see my lone little car in the parking lot awaiting my return.

I climbed in, opened the sunroof, and we sat- Mathilde JuneBug and I- for a good 10 minutes and just listened and soaked in the rays of the sun which had finally made an appearance.


And then we drove away.




(30 second sound clip of the sounds around me- I had to make it into a video to embed on here, so I just added a photo from the walk)

* the title refers to Morning Alleluias for the Winter Solstice- a piece by Ron Nelson that the symphonic band played when I was in college. Great piece to listen to, a beast to play.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool! It looks and sounds so peaceful. I love being in the woods, I just wish I could do it more often. I love the sound clip. The forsythias should be blooming soon. I want one sooooo badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for forcing yourself to go. It is always worth it when we're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Way to go getting out there and getting some hard work in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful area. That has to make it a little easier to walk.

    That Maren is a great inspiration...she's way up top in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh look at that ! I love that you decided to go on that walk despite it being wet! You never regret it once you've finished right :D Fantastic pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That park is beautiful! Way for you to stick to your plan. I am famous for ducking out but you know what, Maren has inspired me too! I love the outdoors and I love being active in the outdoors. After reading this, I am going to put a morning run on my calendar for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love moments like that where you can fully appreciate the beauty that is this planet. We are truly blessed with breathtaking scenery all around us. We just have to open our eyes and as you did, free your ears to fully absorb its grateness. Thanks for sharing, very peaceful post xx

    ReplyDelete