Sunday, March 29, 2009

Grumpy Old Man

I have always called Noah my "little old man". He is a funny little man that is always keeping me on my toes with very wise and witty remarks, shortly followed by a remark to remind me he IS only five!

For some reason, the ice cream man chose this weekend to make his debut in my neighborhood. It really isn't the best of weekends to make a person want to go run, screaming, to the ice cream truck, but I figured this thought was contained in my head. Apparently not.

I was sitting in the living room this afternoon, folding laundry, when I heard the unmistakable jingle of the Mister Softee truck off in the distance. I kept folding, waiting for Noah to run screaming, " MISTER SOFTEEE MISTER SOFTEEE!!!" down the hall. As the music reached a crescendo, signalling the arrival of the frozen confection gods, I saw no sign of Noah. The truck passed and barely-audible, I heard him grumble in his room, " I don't know WHY the ice cream truck would come today. It's not a very good day for it!" I giggled and continued folding my laundry.

My neighborhood is set up kind of weird, so that the truck usually has to pass by our house twice ( lucky me) during his run. Sure enough, about thirty minutes later, I heard the truck pass again. Still no frantic activity from Noah's room. Again, in a low grumble, I heard, " Well, this is just ridiculous! ( he pronounces it rid-ic-uh-lus) WHO buys ice cream on a day like this!??"

He never came out of his room. He just continued happily building his GeoTrax village and, I assume, commenting on the state of the world.



**this picture was taken a few weeks ago.. but I thought it was appropriate to illustrate this post

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine a kid who doesn't want ice cream every day! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... another good one from Jen! Thanks for the laugh today! :o)

    ReplyDelete