Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's Time for School to Start (I'm an Awesome Mom)

School starts here on Tuesday. Apparently, not too soon, because just today I surpassed my summer tolerance level.

First a little backstory: My husband works twelve hour shifts, from seven p.m to seven a.m. Therefore, he sleeps during the day and I have to try and keep the kids from waking him up. We live in a 1200 square foot one-level home, so it isn't always an easy task. And, yes, I do take them out of the house, but it just isn't realistic to take them somewhere every day, I have stuff I have to do around the house too.

Today I had an errand I had to run and I managed to get the kids fed and dressed, but when I went to get dressed, it all fell apart. I am not a high maintenance person. It normally takes me ten to fifteen minutes to get ready. Today it took me three hours. Seriously. Every time I went in the bathroom to get ready, someone was screaming/fighting/yelling/knocking on the door/insisting they were hungry right now/insisting they had to use the bathroom right now. We also only have one bathroom. I kept having to shush them and appease them and explain over and over (AND OVER) again that their father was very tired and sleeping and could they PLEASE NOT STAND RIGHT OUTSIDE THE BEDROOM DOOR AND YELL AND SCREAM!??

So... my blood pressure was rising and my tolerance level was lowering.

Finally, I turned the television on childrens' shows, hoped it would occupy them for a few minutes and headed back to the bathroom to finish getting ready. Less than five minutes later, I heard screaming again. From both children. Right outside the bathroom door (which is six inches to the right of our bedroom door). I opened the door and the two of them were in the hallway right outside the door rolling around and fighting.

I grabbed Zoe's hand, dragged her in her room, hissed through gritted teeth, " TIME OUT- DON'T COME OUT UNTIL I TELL YOU!!!" and shut her door only to hear her (of course) collapse in a fit. I then turned to Noah who was staring smugly at me like he thought only Zoe was getting into trouble, grabbed his hand and dragged him to the living room, opened the front door and shoved him outside. This time hissing through gritted teeth, " IT IS A BEAUTIFUL DAY OUTSIDE, GO OUTSIDE ALREADY!!!". He stared back at me with wide eyes and then pouted and stomped off.

I finished getting ready in the bathroom and was walking around the living room and kitchen packing the diaper bag and I kept seeing Noah staring through the glass storm door at me. I must have still had an angry look on my face because he kept walking away. A few minutes later, I heard the front door open and I glared around the corner at him and he said, "Mommy, can I please get my shoes now?"

Ooops. I'm sure shoes would help.

And I'm wondering when my Awesome Parenting Award will arrive in the mail.

10 comments:

  1. Ah, we all have our parenting days like that - we get pushed to the brink of sanity (and beyond), feel like every effort we make is going nowhere, and then start it all over the next day hoping to survive unscathed. And I only have one to contend with. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    I've been there! I also have a tiny house, one bathroom, and two kids that insist on fighting, yelling, screaming, and acting like crazy people. There is usually a melt down or two over clothes, shoes, hair or food when I am trying to get out the door. Sometimes when Jonathan has to sleep during the day they act like they are out to destroy my house. I do the best I can, and that is all you can do. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! He'll probably remember that in therapy 20 years from now! Just kidding. You are an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl if I was home with mine every single day would be like that. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can so relate to every word of this post...and i was able to read every single word because it's late at night, and finally I'm alone. As in my kids are sleeping. And that ball of tension in my stomach is slowly starting to release.
    Believe me, you will get your parenting award before me!
    PS: I have a daughter named Zoe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be glad you can send them outside. Until recently, it's been hotter than the Ninth Circle of Hell (don't ask how I know this). I'm so thankful daddy is home today, because they will be spending the majority of their time in the bounce house and on the swing set!

    Don't be too hard on yourself, mama. We all have days like these.

    PS: I'm not an Aggie, we went to TCU. :OP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny! (This is Jesslyn) And I'm a SITS girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait, that's not normal? What do you mean?

    :-) (((hugs)))

    full-day school is a GOOOOOOOOOD thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They had you right where they wanted you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. again, happen here everyday...
    btw i am on fb and i already found you...

    ReplyDelete