Five years is a long time to withstand what I put those jeans through. About a year and a half ago, they developed a hole in the knee. That just made them even more awesome and I continued to wear them. About six months ago, the denim around the back pocket started wearing really thin. They made it a few more months until they broke down and the pocket and the pants began parting like the Red Sea. It was time to let them go. I mourned their passing by wearing yoga pants- defiant at buying a new pair of awesome jeans for fear it would disrespect the memory of the AE jeans.
I believe I am beginning to heal, because deep within my soul, stirs the desire for a new pair of fabulous jeans. The desire comes and goes but tonight, when a covert Halloween costume mission brought me to the mall, I finally felt I was ready. I walked into American Eagle.
Lining the wall were various washes and cuts of "skinny jeans." I began to pout.
"Can I help you?" the skinny, young sales girl that was probably in middle school when I bought my last pair of AE jeans asked.
"Um, er, I'm just looking at the jeans."
[sweet smile]
"Any ones in particular?"
"No, I'm just looking right now, thanks."
I scan the wall in front of me and see that they are all skinny jeans. I walk to the next wall which is displaying "slim boot cut jeans".
"Hi there! Is there anything particular you are looking for?" another slightly-older but still twenty-something salesgirl asked.
"Well, yes. I had a pair of AE jeans that I wore until they literally came apart at the seams and I was looking for another pair. They were not skinny jeans. They were just regular jeans."
"Well by 'regular jeans' I'm not sure what you mean because they all have a name. Were they perhaps The Boyfriend Jean?"
[blank stare]
" I don't know what they were called. They had a classic fit, snug in the thighs, mid-rise and slight boot cut."
"Ohhhhhh..... how long ago was this? Because we had the original but have discontinued making them. I suggest you try these slim jeans, though. Don't let the name 'slim' scare you. They fit really well."
I grabbed two different sizes in that pair and proceeded to the dressing room to try them on. I will spare you the details, but one pair did fit. They even looked pretty good with my longer tee. That is, until, I had to bend or squat at which point anyone within twenty feet of me would get way more than they bargained for in the form of a clear view of all that God gave me. In other words, they were pretty low-rise. And, when you are a mom, bending and squatting tends to come up on occasion.
I walked out of the dressing room where older (and by older I mean this one was possibly of drinking age, but still far younger than myself) salesgirl was waiting on me with a hopeful look. I shook my head and told her the rise was too low. She took the jeans and said, " Those are the highest rise we have..."
[WOW]
"... Perhaps you can try The Gap. They still carry their classic jean."
Embarrassed, I walked out making a bee-line for the mall exit with no intention of stopping by The Gap or any other store.
As I headed out of the store, I heard salesgirl #1- the younger one- say, "Sorry about that. Have a great night!" chirpily. I glanced over my shoulder at her to bid her farewell, and I noticed she had that look on her face.
Pity.
She was smiling, but it was a pity smile. She was pitying me for having that awkward mom shape and for walking my old, uncool badonk-a-donk into her store.
I hurried out the nearest exit to my awaiting mini-van, cranked up the Springsteen and made a mental note that perhaps I should be on the lookout for these...
...and that in the future, I should remember that, from this day forward, AE is dead to me.

Don't do it! Don't succumb to the Mom jeans!! Go to Old Navy like the rest of us! try the diva jean...and yes I think its absolutely ridiculous they require us to know a jean "name"!
ReplyDeleteI have 1 pair of AE jeans that a friend gave to me after I lost all my weight & yes they are very low cut! I normally get Old Navy jeans because they have a "normal" pair of jeans. "The sweetheart" are the ones I like because the rise isn't so low that your zipper is 2 inches long lol & they are not so high that they would be "mom" jeans they are just right!
ReplyDeleteGood Luck:-)
No Mom jeans, Jennifer! Jodi is right! Go to Old Navy, buy the Divas! I do buy low cut and prefer flare to boot cut (never, never skinny jeans - how would I pull them up my fat calves?). Even if they feel too low at the store, I take them home and get the feel of them, wear them with a longer shirt.
ReplyDeleteBut I love the bdonky donk!
After loosing my favorite pair of jeans that I wore at least 4 times a week for the last 3 1/2 years I had to make the great search. The closest I could find to jeans that would fit me comfortably, in they style I prefer, was a pair of "Wranger Woman" jeans that cost me an arm and a leg but cover what needs to be covered efficiently. I am the "fluffy but fun loving Mom." They don't have jeans at the mall for people like me. I will eternally be the fashion disaster!!! But my butt is covered fabulously in country style!!
ReplyDeleteI don't even want to think about finding a pair of jeans. Jean shopping has gotten almost as bad as swimsuit shopping.
ReplyDeleteI swear by my Levi's. They cover what needs to be covered, and are comfy too.
ReplyDeleteI have a pair of Tommy Hilfiger "Boyfriend Jeans" and they fit. And they cover and they don't slide down. And I love them.
ReplyDeleteOhhhh and you might try looking on eBay for your old AE jeans! :)