Monday, November 1, 2010

The Agony of Defeat

We lost.

Every year one of our kids wins a costume contest and this year, we lost. I was certain one of them would win because their costumes were awesome and yet we came up short. It's humbling. And I think it might have cured my competitive addiction.

You see, every year, when one of the kids wins, I come home already thinking about what they might be the next year. This year, I came home thinking, "Next year, I'm buying their costumes at the store."

And just like that, the Chaos Family reign has come to an end.

Here were Zoë and Noah in their costumes this year: (the lighting was awful inside and I couldn't get the settings on the camera right to save my life, so I caved and used the automatic function which of course used the flash, washing them out)

Lego Boba Fett from the Lego Star Wars game and Strawberry Shortcake to go with my daughter's red hair.

There were four categories for the costume contest- Most Original Boy, Most Original Girl, Most Original Family and Most Original Homemade.

Most Original Boy went to a little boy dressed as The Joker. I didn't get a picture because when they awarded the prizes, they could not find him.

Most Original Girl went to a little girl dressed as an old lady:


Most Original Family went to a brother and sister dressed as the regular, yellow Lego people- which were really cute:


And Most Original Homemade went to two boys dressed as a pair of dice:

But, at least one really cute moment happened. While some of the smaller children appeared a little scared of Noah since he looked like a robot, one adorable little bumblebee could not leave his side. She walked right up to him and held his hand the entire time they were on the dance floor.


This post is being linked with SITS day 3 of the Halloween link-up where one lucky blogger will win a Canon DSLR.

14 comments:

  1. Aww they look so adoreable. We didnt get any trick or treaters but we did dress youngling as darth vader from Star Wars just for the crack. He looked very cute as a pumpkin for our Halloween party at Wiggle Tots which went very well. Hope you enjoyed your weekend. Take care KC xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! You did a great job with their costumes (and seriously, all we ever get around here are a bunch of Aggie football players so kudos)! I totally would have voted for y'all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you didn't win this year! Great costumes! (I'm visiting from SITS.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That robot is AWESOME....you totally should have won ;-) Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those legos were pretty cute, but I thought yours was AWESOME! Maybe you'll win my Halloween photo contest and all of your online friends will be jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe DJ... I mean Noah didn't win. That costume rocked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THey really do look cute. I love Strawberry Shortcake, and who doesn't like Legos! And hey, you can't win em all, right? Thanks for sharing, have a great day-

    ReplyDelete
  8. What?! You were robbed! What's wrong with these people? Who's sleeping with the judges?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I love the lego man. last year, my youngest was an actual lego block!


    Swinging by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were ROBBED! I love Noah's Lego hands - they're awesome. Who knows what the numbnutz judges were thinking. An old lady?! Seriously? Cuz I've sure never seen a costume like that before...like ever...durr!

    The bumble bee holding Noah's "hand" is really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pictures are WAY cute. And for the record, little old lady? NOT original.

    And, you should totally get a lightscoop. They rock for indoor pics. Plus, CHEAP! Only $35.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job anyway, Jennifer! Amazing costumes! My new technique is to scrounge around in my son's old costume drawer for my daughter and then girl it up! Don't go store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree -- You were ROBBED. That lego Boba Fett is Da Bomb! And I love the picture of him with the bumblebee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait 'til I show my kids Boba Fett! He totally shoulda won. You got robbed. Strawberry was absolutely adorable as well. We appreciat your efforts! ;)

    ReplyDelete