Let me first remind you of my post about a year ago regarding her stashing things. You can read it here. Now, I want to show you a recent picture.
She has to have half her room in bed with her when she goes to sleep. I tried putting my foot down, but she just gets up and gets the things after we close her door. Here, you see: Roger, Bunny Rabbit, Baby Bunny Rabbit, Bunny Bear, Baby Shoes, Meow-Meow, Ariel(Ya-yel), Puppy, Ruby and Dora is suffocating under that pile somewhere.
I'm not sure what is triggering this neuroses in her, but it is in direct contrast to her mother's need for order, open-spaces, purging, cleansing, organizing and being clutter-free (a neuroses all its own).
In other neurotic news, I asked Noah to start thinking about what theme he would like for a birthday this year. We still aren't sure if we are going to celebrate it again in June so his school friends can come to his party, or in August when his true birthday falls. He thought for exactly three seconds and said, " I want a Gershwin party!" As in George Gershwin, composer. *I* think it is awesome, but am pretty sure that not many first-graders are going to stumble over themselves flocking to a Gershwin party.
Am I supposed to be proud of the fact that my son has developed my love of music so much that he has formed an independent opinion as to his favorite composer? I like Gershwin and his music, but he is not my favorite. ( Aaron Copland and Percy Grainger, in case you were wondering) Or do I worry that he might be teased in the future for being different? I'm different and it's a hard road to travel, but nice to come out in the end proud of your own quirky weird self. I don't want to suggest he conform. I want him to be Noah in the end, whomever that may be. But, as a mother, it pains me when I see the possibility of him being teased. I remember being nine years old at a slumber party and being laughed at, teased, and treated so utterly horrible that I ended up calling my mother to come get me in the middle of the night. I don't want my precious boy to endure that kind of torture.
It's a fine line. I want him to be liked for who he is. I don't want him to be teased and ridiculed. I don't want to break his spirit. I can only hope that he can confidently be himself and make others think he's different, yet cool.
Let your freak flag fly, Noah!
Your mommy sure does.
I slept with a frightening amount of stuffed animals right up until middle school. And they had their own places in my bed that they HAD to be. I swear I'm normal now! :)
ReplyDeleteWow. Gershwin. But really thanks to you he has that love and appreciation of music. My kid would have no idea who that is. I think that is great.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, I can see our daughters have something in common! Every couple months I just about have to go in her room with a shovel to get it looking like a bedroom again! And the sleeping stuffed animals - they do take up the whole bed!
ReplyDeleteFor your son you could look up on the internet how to make a music party for him at your house. There are websites where other creative parents have posted incredible parties they've done on every theme on the planet. I did a cooking party for my daughter's 7th at our house with chef hats and aprons and decorating cakes and it was a BIG HIT, so I'm sure you could find something to satisfy the Gershwin in him and still maintain his street cred!