Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Party Planner

I've been pondering Noah's announcement that he wants a Gershwin birthday party for awhile now. Racking my usually-creative brain for ideas on how exactly to pull this off. I've considered a New Orleans-style jazz party and a New York City themed party. The logic behind these thoughts is that Noah loves "Rhapsody in Blue" which is what started the Gerswhin obsession in the first place. He first heard Rhapsody in Blue while watching Fantasia where a city scene is portrayed while accompanied by the piece.

Finally, I thought, " Wait a minute, WHY am I stressing about trying to interpret his meaning when I can just ASK him?" So, I did. When he got home from school Friday, I asked him if he could tell me what he was thinking of when he said he wanted this party.

He went into full decorator mode. He started swinging his arms wildly about while describing what and where things should be. He would like the following:

* pictures of George Gershwin in each corner of the living room.
* A "Happy Birthday Noah!" sign hanging over the entrance to the kitchen with piano keys on each side of the sentiment
* piano magnets to be placed all over our refrigerator and front door
* black, white and blue balloons everywhere- black and white for piano keys and blue to symbolize Rhapsody in Blue
* a cake with a piano on it and Gershwin sitting at the piano playing it ( even after I pulled off the Lego cake last year myself, he still informed me, matter-of-factly, "You'd better let Grandma do this.")
* There should be a number "7" birthday candle on the cake and the cake will be blue with piano keys on it as well
* As for party games, he said we could have the kids sit at the piano and make up their own song and then vote for the best

Here's the problem. We don't have a piano. I pointed that out to him and without even the slightest hesitation, he answered, "Well, maybe we'll have one by then."

Yeah, fat chance kiddo.

And I still don't have a clue what to do for his party.

5 comments:

  1. He cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least he gave you some ideas. Piano, color theme, music... You can work with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Morgan was about that age she wanted a "secret garden dog party" (scratching head). There was a time when a chuck e cheese party qualified you as the best parent ever...those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was driving behind a van today emblazoned with the words "Piano rentals" on it. So there you go. Just come to Arizona!

    Or you could have a karaoke party with piano music and piano-shaped favors/cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an awesome kid to me! My kids have big visions when it comes to birthdays, too, but this one 'takes the cake'. Excuse the lame pun. ;)

    ReplyDelete