Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Signs It's Time for School to Start (and Your Child Has Been Watching Too Much Television)

Tonight I informed Noah it was time to do the one thing he hates most every year: try on his jeans before school starts and determine which ones are too short and which ones can squeak out another season.

Normally, this proclamation is met with " Awww, I HATE trying on jeans!", " I'm too hot! Can I stop now?" and, "WHY do I have to do this!?"

But tonight, he simply said, " Okay, Mommy."

Wow.

Then he began narrating the whole experience.

"Tonight is eviction night for pants! Stay tuned to see who the two nominees will be and which pair of pants will be evicted from the Big Jeans House!"

I laughed and he continued to narrate.

Then, while holding a particular pair of cargo-style jeans he doesn't like, he said, "Mommy, can we backdoor these pants? I hate them."

In the end, Mommy won the power of veto and vetoed Noah's cargo pants nomination because they still fit him. And, as it turns out, in an "expect the unexpected" twist, tonight was triple eviction night with our family saying goodbye to the two pair of Levi's and a pair of Osh Kosh.

2 comments: