The first started a few weeks ago when Zoë started saying, "Oh my God" a lot. I told her one day that wasn't a very nice thing to say and that she should say, "Oh my goodness." instead. She nodded her head and went about her way.
A couple of nights ago, I heard Noah and Zoë in the tub.
NOAH: You know who made the lawn?
ZOË: WHO????
NOAH: God
ZOË: **GASP**(then whispering) Mommy say don't say God, say goodness.
So now my kid thinks God is a bad word. Nice.
*******
Zoë's classroom has what they call "busy bees". It is basically their jobs. They pick their job for the week from things such as door holder, snack helper etc. Sometimes if they are not behaving themselves, they will lose their busy bee for the day.
Today, Zoë had two meltdowns. One massive one which I actually heard because I was volunteering ( I was not in her classroom and she did not know I was there) and happened to be taping notes to the cubbies out in the hall when I heard her screaming. I heard her teacher firmly tell her, " No hitting. I do not hit you, so you don't hit me!"
On the way home from school, I was talking to her about her sad choices. I told her that sometimes we all make sad choices- even Mommy and Daddy make sad choices. I gave her examples and then followed it up with, "So, everyone makes sad choices sometimes, but it is important that we realized we made a sad choice. And what do you think we should do next?" (I paused giving her a chance to answer, but was going to then tell her that we should apologize to the person we hurt either with our hands or our words) I didn't get to answer the question because she did
" Ummmm???? Lose our busy bee?"
Their minds are so simple when they're little, and they move on to the next thing that grabs their attention in the blink of an eye!! Some days I remember feeling like it was futile to try and reason with my kids. Like, no matter what I said, it was just going to either be MORE confusing or land me in a quagmire of MORE talking/reasoning.
ReplyDeleteThese are some of my favorite types of stories! They are so innocent, totally unaware of how hilarious they are at this age. What a sweet pair of kiddos you've got!
ReplyDeleteAt least she is learning there are consequences to her actions.
ReplyDelete