Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss and Texas!

See? Just when I thought I didn't have anything to blog about, one of my friends mentioned that today is both Dr Seuss' birthday AND Texas' birthday. ( Thanks, Mandy!)

She's right. I knew about Dr Seuss, because Noah is having various Seuss-abrations at school all week. But, I had forgotten about Texas. ( I know.. bad Texan, bad, BAD Texan!) Proof that I have been gone too long.* But, yes, the Texas history I was required to take both in seventh grade and in college is now coming back to me and Texas signed the Declaration of Independence from Mexico, thus becoming the Republic of Texas on March 2, 1836. ( and I would like to note that we celebrate this and considered ourselves a republic before we even WON that right. In all reality, it started a war with Mexico, who actually signed a treaty on April 21, 1836 after a sound beating at the Battle of San Jacinto- we celebrate that date too!)

I'll bet you didn't think I could come up with something to tie these two together, did you? But, I did. I commented on Mandy's Facebook status and came up with a quick off-the-cuff poem. And thought, as cheesey and bad as it is, I would share it here.

So, without further ado, in honor of Texas and Dr Seuss:

I love Texas in a box
I love Texas with a fox.
I love Texas near and far
I love Texas' lone star.

I cannot bear it in the snow
I cannot bear the distance so
I need thee Texas with the food
For it will surely lift my mood.

Texas is the place for me
Yes, Texas I love. Jen, I be.**



* in case you didn't know, I am a Texan being forced to live against my will in New Jersey. Well, against my will part of the year- namely when it's snowing. I love it here in the spring and summer!

**yes, I KNOW that is awful grammar.... I'm not stupid. I was trying to be funny.. you know, as in, " Sam, I am" but with... oh... never mind.


2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I feel for you. It's awful to live in the wrong place, especially when it snows there! I can't stand to live on the wrong side of PHOENIX, much less out of state, so I can relate!

    I love when they have all those Seuss celebrations at school. My daughter and I were just going through her books and, other than keeping her (my) favorites (Horton Hatches an Egg and Where's My Mother), it's time to give them away. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete