Friday, February 26, 2010

Winter Games 2010:Lesser-Known Jersey Location

As the Olympic Winter Games are wrapping up in Vancouver, I am simultaneously sad to see them end and glad to finally get some sleep again. You see, despite the wonderful invention called the DVR, I feel the need to stay up and watch the events unfold on television. And you know all the good stuff comes on after ten p.m.

Apparently, my kids have taken note of what is on the television as well. Friday, while Noah was enjoying yet ANOTHER snow day, he and Zoe were in his room playing. I had no idea what they were doing and frankly, I didn't care. They were not fighting for a change and were occupied. You couldn't have paid me a million dollars to go back there to see what they were doing at risk I would break the spell.

So, when Noah went parading through the kitchen with his bicycle helmet and sunglasses on, I knew there was a story there that I really wanted to hear. So, I casually asked him about his attire.

"We're playing Olympics."

"Oh? That sounds like a great game! Are you a skier? A bobsledder?"

"No. I made up an event. It's called the Dirty Clothes Hamper Roll 500."

**pause**

" I'm sorry, the WHAT?"

" The Dirty Clothes Hamper Roll 500. Zoe zips me up in my hamper and then rolls me around in it. We won the gold medal."

I grabbed my camera and asked if I might get to watch their next run.

They happily obliged me.

Noah, preparing for his run:


With the efficiency and speed of the world's top two-year-olds, Zoe zips the hamper:
...and begins to roll
...and roll
Team Jersey USA is victorious and displays the fastest time and the highest marks for Zoe's lyrical and liberal interpretation of the word "roll".
Here they display their gold medal trophy- which looks suspiciously like a soccer trophy- but the Jersey Olympic Federation, Pinelands Branch is severely low on funding and might have recycled a previous award.

GO TEAM JERSEY USA!

You will both always be gold medalists in my eyes!

4 comments:

  1. Super creative fun. Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how cute! I love that, Jennifer! Made up his own sport and everything and had a pit crew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Look at the look of pride on Zoe's face!

    ReplyDelete