Monday, August 31, 2009

The Appetite of a Two-Year-Old and the Memory of a Six-Year-Old

For the past month or so, Zoe has continuously hung on my leg and hollered, "EEEAAAAATTT!" over and over (and over) again. Even if she has just finished eating a meal, she will follow me around, hang on my leg and screech that awful word. It sends chills up my spine, I'm so tired of hearing it.

While Zoe can't forget about eating, Noah seems to have trouble remembering.... anything. Or at least anything that does not interest him. I can ask him forty times in one day to clean his room and he will go to his room, close the door and I will hear shuffling around. An hour later, I go to check on his progress and he is sitting in the middle of the same mess, playing. He assures me he was going to clean up, but FORGOT... and then starts to clean up. When I check on him later, nothing has been picked up and lo and behold, he's "forgotten" again. I've diagnosed him with selective amnesia.

As a result of Noah's selective amnesia and various other infractions over the past few weeks, he has lost all of his Star Wars toys. I packed them all up and put them in the attic. Last Friday, Noah asked if he could have just one Clone Trooper back. I told him if he helped his daddy and I out around the house over the weekend and was a good boy, we would talk about it on Monday.

Meanwhile, Zoe's affliction extends to all facets of her routine. Early this morning, at approximately five am, I was sleeping quite soundly (and happily) when a blood curdling scream awakened me. Lying in bed, trying to figure out what it was that awakened me and had adrenaline flowing through my body and my heart pounding, I then heard the following: " EEEAAAAAATTTTTT!". Then.... silence. She was apparently dreaming of following me around demanding something to eat.

After that episode, it took me awhile to calm my heart rate and get back to sleep. I finally fell back asleep after DJ got up for work- which was about 6:30. At 7:05 am I was sleeping happily again when I felt the tiniest little "tap" on my forehead. I opened my eyes to see Noah standing practically nose to nose with me ( there goes the sudden rush of adrenaline again). "CAN I HELP YOU?" I snorted.

"Ummm... remember last week when you said that maybe if I was a good boy and helped you out around the house, that I could maybe possibly have my Clone Trooper out of the attic? Can I have my Clone Trooper out of the attic?"

My brain cannot process this complex of a run-on sentence so soon after awakening OR on such little sleep. I know I glared at him and I think I managed to mumble something about discussing it later.

As he shuffled down the hall, he exclaimed, "MAN!!" while located exactly in front of his sister's door. About four seconds later, I heard Zoe at full volume:

"BUBBA! MOMMY! EEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTT!"

3 comments:

  1. Why is it the older one always has to wake the younger one up at the most inopportune time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avery seems to have the same affliction regarding food. Instead of screaming EAT at the top of her lungs though, she constantly runs into the pantry and yells "MOMMA" and then when I get there points to her mouth and then at whatever food she decides she wants. Over, and over, and over again. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny...for you, not so much! We had put a lock on our pantry-for Jack the all-you-can-eat buffet is closed. For me, I feel like a waitress with the worst customer ever!

    ReplyDelete