Saturday, August 15, 2009

Flashback Friday

My blogging friend Jennifer, who also went to high school with me, does this thing on Fridays called Flashback Fridays. The idea is to bring back one of your previous posts for those that may have missed it before to get a chance to read it. I realized it is technically Saturday already, but I'm still up, so it's Friday to me!!

This post was originally written in January 2007 when I was pregnant with Zoe. For those of you that don't understand the irrationality and intense cravings of a pregnant woman, perhaps this can shed some light. For those of you that DO understand it, just enjoy!


A Torrid Affair

I'm having a torrid affair with guacamole! I really forgot how intense a pregnant woman's cravings could be until guacamole entered my thoughts. Here's how it happened:
I was on the phone with a friend who mentioned she was making a seven-layer dip and needed some avocados for the guacamole layer. The seed was planted. "Guacamole? I could eat some guacamole!" Now, the Northeast is not an area known for its fine Mexican cuisine, so I knew just picking some up somewhere was out of the question, and I am not sure I could make some as spicy as I would like, so I tried to put it out of my mind. For the next few days, guacamole dominated my thoughts like an absent lover. I became a woman obsessed! Finally, I could stand it no longer and I gave in.

I went to the local grocery store and was surprised to find very ripe avocados perfect for making guacamole. Then, I found one of those seasoning packets and my heart soared- until I turned it over and saw it was manufactured in MASSACHUSSETTS!! WHAT???? I put the avocados back and was wandering aimlessly on the verge of a breakdown when- a single ray of sun beamed through the glass window of the Acme into the produce section- illuminating, in all it's glory, a single vacuum-sealed package of ready-prepared guacamole!!! With trembling hands and a hopeful heart, I picked up the package and flipped it over. Stamped on the back, were the most beautiful words I have ever read, " Product of Mexico" and just underneath- " Packaged in Keller, TX" !! With tears in my eyes, I gingerly stroked my package of guacamole and then practically skipped to the chip aisle where I picked up a bag of tortilla chips. I had guacamole for lunch, dinner, snack..... in fact, I am writing this in a guacamole-induced stupor!

Now, if I could just get my hands on some really good enchiladas!!

TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR- " How far will Jennifer go for a Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper?"

1 comment:

  1. I think I survived on Double Stuff Oreos when I was pg with Baby Girl.

    ReplyDelete