The "Eyes" Have It!!
Noah came home from school a few weeks ago and the first words he said to me when he walked through the door were, " Mommy! We had a substitute today!" Those words are usually followed by complaints of how horrible his day went because it wasn't as he anticipated. He is a creature of habit and does not deal well with change. He is his mother's son.
On this particular day, I noticed a bit of a chirpiness to his proclamation, though. Before I could inquire about what atrocities were committed at the hands of this inferior human being that was not his teacher, he breathlessly continued: " She was beeeeautiful!!!"
My ears perked up. Noah never uses phrases like this to describe someone and, frankly, I didn't think he noticed the physical qualities of anyone except, of course, the M&M people and Star Wars characters. Still not letting me get in a word, the rest of the conversation went like this:
NOAH: She was wearing a very pretty shirt; AND she had brown hair and BLUE eyes! I've never seen blue eyes in REAL LIFE before!!
ME: ( summoning the long-lost theater nerd in me and feigning complete and utter outrage and insult) HEY! *I* have blue eyes!!!!
NOAH: WHAT!!??? ( then walks right up to me, gets nose-to-nose with me and looks at my eyes and says..) HUH! I thought this whole family had BROWN eyes! ( and walked away)
I guess I was right... he doesn't notice physical characteristics of anyone but M&M people, Star Wars characters and one Miss Nicole of Fort Dix Elementary. All those hours I spent staring blissfully into the eyes of my son.. bonding.... or so I thought. Now I find out, he was paying no attention and probably just wondering when the goofy brown-eyed lady was going to give him his next meal.
On this particular day, I noticed a bit of a chirpiness to his proclamation, though. Before I could inquire about what atrocities were committed at the hands of this inferior human being that was not his teacher, he breathlessly continued: " She was beeeeautiful!!!"
My ears perked up. Noah never uses phrases like this to describe someone and, frankly, I didn't think he noticed the physical qualities of anyone except, of course, the M&M people and Star Wars characters. Still not letting me get in a word, the rest of the conversation went like this:
NOAH: She was wearing a very pretty shirt; AND she had brown hair and BLUE eyes! I've never seen blue eyes in REAL LIFE before!!
ME: ( summoning the long-lost theater nerd in me and feigning complete and utter outrage and insult) HEY! *I* have blue eyes!!!!
NOAH: WHAT!!??? ( then walks right up to me, gets nose-to-nose with me and looks at my eyes and says..) HUH! I thought this whole family had BROWN eyes! ( and walked away)
I guess I was right... he doesn't notice physical characteristics of anyone but M&M people, Star Wars characters and one Miss Nicole of Fort Dix Elementary. All those hours I spent staring blissfully into the eyes of my son.. bonding.... or so I thought. Now I find out, he was paying no attention and probably just wondering when the goofy brown-eyed lady was going to give him his next meal.
LOL. That is so funny. The things they say... and notice.
ReplyDeleteHey. No more pop up word verfication. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a mother but I really enjoyed that story it was funny and cute.
ReplyDelete